Monday, February 25, 2008

In Stitches

Does anyone out there have experience with filet crochet? Me neither. I picked up a book on it at the library, though: Filet Crochet, by Betty Barnden.



Basically, you crochet mesh squares, filling in some of them with extra double crochet stitches and leaving some open, to create a design or pattern. And you don't have to use teeny tiny crochet hooks and finer-than-fine threads. Any yarn and an appropriately sized crochet hook will do. It doesn't look difficult. I might give it a go some night, with some leftover fingering, just to see what it is like. (Just what I need, another yarn craft!)

Other books I have been getting out of the library as they come available include the new releases of the Harmony Guides. Apparently, many other knitters are also looking for them because the only two I have seen so far are Knit and Purl and Lace and Eyelets.







The surprising thing about these books is they do not include charts. Instead, the stitch work is described row by row. Personally, I prefer charts. At least, that is what I am used to.

As far as content goes, I can see myself making use of Knit and Purl, but not so much Lace and Eyelets. I do enjoy some of the names of the patterns, though, like "Lawn Hyacinths" and "Papyrus Lace" and "Raised Tyre Track Panel".

Despite my good intentions, I bought more yarn last night, online from Elann.com. The Pinwheel Sweater is on my list of things to knit this year, so yarn for that is okay, but I included yarn for the Sun Ray Shawl as well. This is my first order with Elann, and that is a lot of yarn to buy sight unseen. Fingers and toes and knitting needles crossed, that I like what I bought.

3 comments:

Qutecowgirl said...

be careful they can be as bad as knitpicks =) I have a list waiting for the next time i have cash (recent yarn splurge wipeout my yarn money) Anyway can not wait to see what you got.

=)

sherriknits said...

I used to do quite a bit of filet crochet and really enjoyed it. I barely crochet any more, but for years I did doilies for wedding gifts and people seemed to love them.

LizzieK8 said...

I made a filet wrap for a trip to Disneyland one year. It had a Mickey Mouse head and an M on one end and a Heart and an M on the other. Was loads of fun!