Saturday, October 08, 2022

Wall hanging in shades of gray

I impulsively purchased some jumbo bulky yarn at the Portland fiber fest last spring. It is so bulky I could not figure out what to do with it. Also, it is merino and feels like it would not withstand much abrasion. After trying this and that, I ended up with a wall hanging.


Pattern: none, just my own concoction.
Weave structure: plain weave
Loom: frame rug loom
Warp: Maysville 8/4 Carpet Warp, in medium gray
Weft: Blue Sky Fibers Woolstok Jumbo, in 'Snow Storm', 'Gray Stone', and 'Arctic Cloud'
Decor: Cascade 220 Superwash in black; Ella Rae Classic in red
EPI/PPI: 5/2
Ends: 118
Finished size: 17" x 28" (without extra long ends)


I wove this sideways on the loom, so each pass had a loop on one side and loose ends on the other. Once it came off the loom, I puzzled over how to secure the selvages on all four sides. On what had been the top and bottom on the loom, now the sides, I knotted the warp and wove the ends into the fabric. But what to do for the loops and loose ends? Inspired by Sheila Hicks, I decided to wrap them, in black except for one vertical pair which I wrapped in red, from top to bottom.


I'm leaving the loose ends at whatever length they ended up being, which complicates photographing the piece. I'm still in search of an appropriate rod for hanging. Since it hangs rather lopsided, I may use a branch that will correct the skewing.

No comments: