Sunday, October 30, 2022

A little spun out

I'm done with the yarn I was spinning for a weaving friend. I tried to make it as fine as possible, but between my limited wheel ratio (14:1), the fiber (Corriedale roving), and my skill, it didn't come out as fine as I had hoped. Also, it feels like it has a lot of grist, meaning it is tightly spun and plied, so feels a bit coarse.


This was my first attempt at such a fine yarn, so I asked a couple of fiber friends for some hints. They were not all that helpful. My inclination is to try again, but with top from a long-haired breed, such as Romney or Lincoln or BFL, but neither of them could confirm or deny my ideas. Scrounging in my stash produced some mystery fiber (maybe alpaca?) that seems to have a long staple, plus about a pound of New Zealand Romney (why did I buy it?) So the experiment will continue.

Knitting: Working away on the 'Graham' slouchy hat.
Spinning: Finished the fine spinning for my weaving friend, to be delivered later this week.
Weaving: Worked on two weavings, both in shades of gray.

I celebrated a milestone birthday recently. These two tee shirts express how I feel about that.


Have a happy Halloween!

No comments: