Monday, August 26, 2024

Socks for Michele

I know Michele doesn't read my fiber blog, so it's safe to mention her name here. These socks will be her xmas present. Not the prettiest sock yarn, but very funtional.


Pattern: Short-row toe and heel basic socks, by Wendy D. Johnson
Yarn: Zwerger Garn Opal Elemente, colorway 1079
Needles: US1
Modifications: Knit from the top down, so wedge-shaped toe, closed with Kitchener stitch


I started these socks toe-up six times, 5 using the "easy" cast on, which just would not cooperate. Finally, I went back to the short-row toe. 72 stitches around.

And I hated how the toes came out. So I scrapped them and started top-down, from the cuff: alternating long tail cast on, 2x2 ribbing for 20 rounds before switching to stockinette.


I was able to match the patterns between the two socks, until I hit a knot in the self-striping yarn. I blithely snipped out the knot and carried on. Just short of the toe, I realized the socks no longer matched. Heaving a huge sigh of resignation, I ripped back, found where the patterns matched, and finished.


Now I am happy with the results.

No comments: