Monday, January 17, 2022

Garter scarf

On our trip to Wabash Woollen Works, I told my SO that he needed a new scarf, so pick out two skeins of yarn. He selected a merino/alpaca blend in an unnamed colorway but which I'll call 'Mossy Green' since that is what Ravelry suggested, and a skein of alpaca hand dyed in 'Marigold'. I worked up several samples and except when both yarns were held together, the Marigold overwhelmed the Mossy Green. Also, my SO wanted a fabric that was somewhat stiff, that would stand up around his neck. The winning sample was plain old garter stitch, which made it easy on me.


Pattern: None to speak of, just garter stitch all the way, although I slipped the first stitch of each row knitwise.
Yarn: Wabash Woollen Works Alpaca in 'Marigold' and Wabash Woollen Works 50 Merino/50 Alpaca in 'Mossy Green'
Needle: US9


I used a US10 needle for casting on and binding off, as I have found going up a needle size creates a more square fabric at the beginning and end of a project, but that's just me. I knit until I ran out of the Marigold. Before blocking, the scarf measured 48", after blocking 53". That's short for a scarf in my book, but if my SO hangs it as he is wont to do despite my active discouragement of such treatment of scarves, it will probably stretch out a bit more because of all the alpaca. At any rate, he loves it, which is all that matters.

1 comment:

Marilynsmith said...

I have order Fur Scarf and coat from Amifur. Here I got a nice collection and Seems the quality is also good. Which is really soft and gives the best Warmth.