Saturday, January 10, 2009

Help me, I'm felting!

It seemed like a good day to felt, so I did. And it was easy! I threw a couple of pairs of old jeans into the washer along with the Booga Bag bits (in a zippered pillow case), set the dials for a half-load at hot wash and cold rinse, and went about my business.

After one washing, I was impressed with the results. The Cascade 220 bottom was exactly the right size and the flared top had shrunk in, but the bag was still a little long.



I let it sit a while, then while petting and tugging at it, realized that the Noro fabric was too stretchy. So back into the washer for another go 'round.



I was afraid the Cascade 220 would shrink too much, but it didn't. And now the Noro fabric feels firmer. I'll let the bag sit a bit again, to see if I'm satisfied.

So why all the trepidation about felting? I suppose if I were felting something to wear, I might be concerned about too much shrinkage, but this bag is the perfect first felting project. Whoo-hoo!

2 comments:

Toni said...

Ooh, very cute!

Shea said...

Looks great!