Saturday, January 31, 2009

Slipper up

The other night when my SO came to dinner, he slipped off his boots at the door and wandered around in his stocking feet. As he was leaving, he commented that his feet were cold.

Light bulb moment!

Wouldn't it be great to have a basket full of felted slippers for guests to wear when they come to visit? I found a quick and easy pattern at knitty, scrounged up the yarn left over from the Pinwheel sweater, and got to work.



Obviously, not felted yet. This pattern is super easy and would make a great introduction to sock knitting.

Look what my SO brought me the other night.



If you can't see it in the photo above, take a closer look.



He wore these socks so much he wore them out. I think the yarn may be partially at fault - it's an acrylic-wool blend - and the knitter as well - these were knit a bit on the small side, for a snug fit that also stretched out the fabric too much, something I noticed each time he wore them. I am going to practice repairing them, just for "fun".

And to prove the February Lady has not been abandoned:



I discovered that the lace pattern, while fairly simple, requires more attention than I can give when knitting during a meeting. Also, the sweater is getting a bit too bulky to tote around, so I may be forced - FORCED, I tell you! - to start something new, something relatively brainless, for portable knitting.

BTW, Yarn Harlot is also knitting the February Lady, with plans to be done by February 12, BUT she is also spinning the yarn! She will probably beat me, too.

2 comments:

Toni said...

The slippers are such a good idea!!!!

LizzieK8 said...

I made acrylic/wool blend socks for my sons thinking they'd last longer. They don't. I think the acrylic cuts through the wool in the stressed areas.