Sunday, November 26, 2006

"Nupp" Is A Four-Letter Word

Nupps are the work of the devil. They sound simple - knit, yarn over, knit, yarn over, knit, all in one stitch on the right side, creating five loops, then purl the five loops together on the wrong side. Easier said than done!



The nupps on this swallowtail shawl almost did me in. No matter how loosely I worked the nupp on the RS, I simply could not get my needles into the five loops on the WS for the 5-in-one purl. I tried until I cried.



The Internet came to my rescue. The most useful info came from here. In a nutshell, instead of purling 5 stitches at once, just slip 4 stitches purlwise, purl the fifth, then pass the first 4 over the purled stitch. It sounds like a lot to do, but it goes quickly and produces much less swearing.



We are supposed to be done with everything except the bind off by next week's class. I just might make it! That is, if my hands don't cramp up.

No comments: