Friday, November 17, 2006

WIP - Swallowtail Shawl - Progress Report

I don't think I will ever knit another lacy anything, ever, ever, ever. This project is driving me crazy!

Working the RS, I chant the stitches as I go along ("knit together, yarn over, knit, knit, knit, yarn over, slip, slip, knit together, knit"), but a microsecond of inattention results in an error that I don't discover until I get to the end of the row. Working the WS, I count stitches, just in case I missed something. And I then I started counting half rows, so I can find an error by the time I get to the center stitch. And then I count again, when starting a new row. In spite of all this chanting and counting, errors still go undetected until I realize something just doesn't look right.

If the error is a lost YO, I can usually correct the problem on my way back. But if I screwed up the slip-slip-knit or the slip-knit 2 together-passover, I have to undo. And undoing these stitches is not easy.

My coworker stopped by my desk to confess she is going to class without her homework done, partly because she has a life (this was a lot of knitting to get done in one week's time) and partly because she had to undo seven rows. So I'm not the only one struggling.

My suggestion is this class should be a four-session class, instead of three, or the class should meet every two weeks. The rest of my life is on hold until I get caught up.

No comments: