Tuesday, November 14, 2006

WIP - Swallowtail Shawl (Gulp!)

A co-worker talked me into taking a how-to-knit-a-swallowtail-shawl class at our LYS. I think CoW had ulterior motives, as she was thinking this shawl would be beautiful on the bridesmaids at her daughter's wedding but knew she could not make them all herself. Fortunately for me, she abandoned the bridesmaid idea (after picturing the shawls being flung about at the reception). Unfortunately, I signed up for the class anyway. Below is a picture of what I accomplished during the first 2-hour session: a palm-sized hunk of lacy knitting.



Actually, it is a great learning experience and a wonderful challenge (ahem). I wondered how spaces were made in lacy knitting and now I know, and my respect for those who tackle these projects has grown immensely. It's one of those things that is not difficult on a stitch-by-stitch basis, as long as you are very, very careful when following the pattern.

I also discovered that combining Turbo Addi needles with 50% silk yarn makes for one slick time. Knowing I would have to rework what I knit in class (my yarn-overs were not always executed correctly and I was tense so the knitting was too tight), at home I switched to Susan Bates aluminum needles, which helped. Then I spent most of Sunday "watching" football while frogging and knitting and counting and frogging and knitting and counting and unknitting and knitting and counting. Many hours later I had a larger hunk of lacy knitting.



Last night I worked up another dozen rows, this time with no backtracking - yay! - so I am hopeful that I will be ready for the next class session.

BTW, I'm using Rowan Yarns Classic Silk Wool DK in Porcelain, on size 6 29" circular needles.

No comments: