Friday, November 10, 2006

Tissue Holder in Bamboo Yarn

This is my own (and first!) design. It didn't turn out quite the way I expected, but wabi sabi.



What happened is I bought a skein of South West Trading Company bamboo yarn at a fiber festival just for fun, but could not decide how to play with it. A little bag for pocket tissues came to mind, so I decided to make several, using different stitches. This one is in seed stitch.

The idea was to make a little 3-dimensional box, leaving one edge unsewn so the tissue package could be inserted easily. That all worked fine, but the box is not as well-defined as I expected it to be, so the opening gapes. I could add a snap, some velcro, a zipper, but I think I will simply stitch up the gap a bit on each side. I want easy access to the tissues but not have the whole tissue package fall out of the holder, as that would defeat the purpose.



While designing this little contraption, I mentally disassembled a box and came up with the lowercase t shape. While knitting, however, it occurred to me that an uppercase T would make more sense, as I would not have to do the extra bind off. I will try this approach with the next one.

FIguring out how to cast on and bind off to create the t shape was a bit of a challenge. I will have to look at a similar pattern to see how it really should be done.

Working with this yarn was a challenge as well. It kept slipping through my fingers until I finally added a wrap around my pinkie to increase the tension.

Here is the design I used for this incarnation.

South West Trading Company 100% Bamboo Yarn - "Serendipity"
100 g/250 yards (way more than enough for this pattern)
light weight (3)
5 sts and 8 rows = 1" on US 6 needles

Finished size = 1" x 2.5" x 4.5"

CO 25
Rows 1-28: Seed stitch
Row 29: CO 5 stitches, seed stitch across row (30 stitches)
Row 30: CO 5 stitches, seed stitch across row (35 stitches)
Rows 31-48: Seed stitch
Row 49: BO 5 stitches, seed stitch across row (30 stitches)
Row 50: BO 5 stitches, seed stitch across row (25 stitches)
Rows 51-56: Seed stitch
BO
Shape into a box and sew up 1" sides and 2.5" sides.
Leave 4.5" side open.

No comments: