Friday, November 03, 2006

Baby Sweater and Baby Blanket


This past summer I took an "advanced beginner" knitting class at my LYS. The project was the one-skein baby sweater modeled by Grumpy Bear. The project was small enough to finish in four weeks, but it also taught us the basics of sweater construction. I used Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted (100% superwash wool) in Happy Valley (I think).


I originally intended the sweater for my younger brother's first grandchild, but could not part with it, at least not yet. So the baby received this afghan instead. It's the Rainbow Baby Blanket pattern, free from Lion Brand Yarn, crocheted in Lion Brand Babysoft yarn. Simple to make, but makes a big impact visually. The most difficult part for me was the yarn handling - two strands are crocheted together and for some rows you will need to feed the yarn from both ends of the same skein. If you take on this project, check your gauge - I almost ran out of yarn.

No comments: