Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Hot Water

The installation of the hot water heater went without a hitch. Turns out I had replaced it just in time, as some valve was starting to leak. The hot water heater and furnace are located in a large closet off my bedroom; I wish they were somewhere else in the house, like the garage, where leaks and other disasters would not be as big a problem. I looked into moving the furnace to the garage, but all the ductwork would have to be reversed. I did not know ductwork decreases in size the further from the heat source it goes, but it makes sense.

Still knitting sleeves, while pondering what to do to make the body more interesting but not too-too. Still knitting mittens, but should have them done today. Starting to meditate on how best to graph the two halves of the creamy lace shawl together.

Looking for a pattern for the Trekking XXL sock yarn I bought. I think I have settled on "Undulating Rib Socks" from Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs from Interweave. This will be the first pattern I knit from this book, and already I am somewhat flummoxed by the directions. For one thing, it calls for knitting fingerling weight yarn on US3 and US4 needles. For someone who uses US1, this sounds like crazy talk. But I think I will use US1 on the ribbing at the top of the cuff (my ribbing tends to be a little loose), US2 for half the cuff, then back to US1 for the rest, just to see how it turns out.

I was in Eddie Bauer last night, desperately looking for some new clothes, when I noticed that all the scarves, hats, and mittens have a handknit look to them. Apparently, knitting is so "in" these days that even the store-bought knits resemble handmade!

1 comment:

Kris said...

A horrible habit that I've picked up is taking a picture of the false "hand-knit" item and then come home and try to figure out a pattern for it. Especially since you can usually make it for a lot cheaper then they charge for. ;)