Tuesday, November 06, 2007

If You Don't Vote, Don't Complain

We are having local elections here. I was hoping that Graham Richard would run again. He is the invisible mayor, presumably because he is busy getting things done instead of looking for photo ops. I think our local government has a long way to go to becoming more efficient and effective, but Richard made a few strides in that direction during his tenure.

Since Richard is not running, I hope that Tom Henry beats Matt "I am not a crook" Kelty. I fear that Kelty has a not-so-hidden, so-called Christian agenda that will cause a lot of grief and animosity. He is a divider, not a uniter, as evidenced by how he has alienated many in his own party. Plus, he bears an uncanny resemblence to John Mark Karr; it's creepy.

Henry has the experience, which hopefully will enable him to be an effective leader. Sometimes it is healthy to stir the pot with new meat, but not with Kelty in the mix.

My real wish for today, though, is that more people would exercise their right to vote. Like so many of our rights, we take voting for granted. Even if you think your vote won't count, at least be counted; show which side you are on.

On the knitterly front, I am almost done with the Jaywalker socks; my daughter needs to try them on, then I can finish the toes.

Now that I have wrapped up a few projects, I am facing an unusual dilemma: what to knit next? It's not that I don't have plenty of yarn, yarn purchased with specific projects in mind. It's more of a commitment issue. And I can find an excuse for not starting just about anything. This is odd, because usually the only thing keeping me from starting a new project is the size needles I need to use are already occupied.

One project I have been contemplating is a hoodie sweater for moi, but I'm afraid to start - so much yarn! so much knitting! The original pattern is seamless and calls for a zippered front, but I plan to knit sans zipper so I can knit it in the round - no purling! But then I need to swatch in the round. While walking the dog this morning, I decided I will start with the sleeves, as then I can check my gauge without swatching and before I've gone too far.

But first, I need to wind the yarn into a ball. And we all know my track record on that!

1 comment:

3carnations said...

I have a middle aged coworker who has never registered to vote. He claimed it was so he wouldn't get called for jury duty. A couple of years ago, he was called for jury duty because it's your state ID/driver's license that gets you on the list, not voter registration. He still won't register to vote. He is intelligent and has opinions about politics. It drives me nuts that he won't exercise his right. I completely agree with your title though - He has no place to complain!